If you want to install Apple CarPlay on your old Subaru you’ll need the following:
- A CarPlay stereo. most go for around $500 CAD but this $200 BOSS stereo has worked well for me, here’s $350 Sony CarPlay stereo that has a physical volume knob.
- A harness, which is a cable that interfaces between the stereo’s wiring and Subaru’s wiring without having to mess up the Subaru’s wiring.
- A device for connecting to the steering wheel controls to your harness.
- One or two USB -> Lightning or USB -> USB cables so you can connect to the stereo.
- (maybe) A bezel to fit the screen into the dashboard
- (maybe) A cable to connect the antenna to the stereo (I was told I’d need one but my Subaru already had it, so I have a spare now if you need it)
Here’s the cheap stereo I bought, most are $500+ but this one was on sale for $200. it looks nice and works well.
- Step by step picture guide to getting access the stereo on you Subaru.
- Harness adapter (maybe find a better one, or use the one already in the car)
- Subaru 20 Pin Harness Pinout InformationSteering wheel control adapter (Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface)
- Bezel/dash kit (optional, but made things look a bit nicer for my stereo)
- Subaru antenna adapter (probably not needed)